Thursday 18 August 2011

Vegan Meat/s

Pastrami-style seitan.
Seitan O'Greatness.
Cheatin' Beef-style Roast sandwiches.




Seitan O'Greatness, Pastrami, and Cheddar Cheezly baguette

I love all of these faux-meats.
The Pastrami-style Seitan from Vegan Diner is the most amazing of them all: it's incredibly heavy, dense, juicy, and flavoursome.
It's essentially this recipe, with a different spice combination.
I have it as-is in pastrami sandwiches, or sliced-thin, and heated, to make unbelievable hot 'beef' sandwiches.

Seitan O'Greatness has a beautiful spicy tomato smell when cooking, and savoury flavour when eating.
Great on sandwiches, too - can also be used anywhere you'd normally use pepperoni: on pizzas, for example.

Cheatin' Beef-style Roast: this is a pre-made product from Redwood, that can be found in the chilled section of Holland and Barratt, and similar stores (Boots Herbal Stores).
Ignore the picture on the packaging: it's a very good, classy foodstuff.

I had this before I had the others - or had even bought wheat gluten - for Christmas dinner.
I was shocked: it's stunning. Dense, meaty, genuinely beef-flavoured...
As shown in the pictures, I think it's great sliced, wrapped in foil with some herbs/seasoning, warmed in the oven, and on sandwiches: when it melts the butter/margarine...perfect.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog - lots of good ideas and honest tips.

    One small negative point though. The photos look a bit 'washed out', making the food look less appetising than it really is. Perhaps something to do with the settings on your monitor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for looking, and the kind words.

    I know exactly what you mean.
    Unfortunately, the camera on my phone, while good, isn't that good, it turns out; in future, i'm looking to use a dedicated digital camera.

    I hope you'll keep checking back, and find the photos more detailed and clear. :)

    ReplyDelete