Monday 18 July 2011

First Post: Sushi.

In the brief spell when I was a vegetarian - as opposed to a vegan - I was quite a fan of the pre-made vegetarian sushi packs they had in supermarkets.
Nowadays, I couldn't countenance eating such sushi - even if it was vegan: it's sacrilege to reduce this great food to something pre-packed in a chiller, alongside BLT/tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches, and other convenience foods.
So some years later, I finally got the necessary things together, and made my own sushi.



The roll in the middle was a California Roll - the rice is outside the nori, and coated with sesame seeds.
All the rolls turned out really well; the fillings were beautiful - as was the rice, which I seasoned with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt (as I understand is traditional in Japan).





Fillings included roasted red peppers (that I roasted myself); sweet potato; cucumber; carrot; spring onion; avocado; and asparagus.








 

I served it with soy sauce, wasabi, and sliced, pickled ginger as a pallette cleanser.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment