Friday 29 July 2011

Where to Buy Wheat Gluten in the UK.



A common question (I wrote it as an instruction, not a question - hence the lack of a question mark) in Britain - and one that all-too-often goes unanswered, as it is a very rare foodstuff over here.

Fortunately, there are a couple of places that sell it (that i've found after a lengthy, determined search):

The Low Carb Megastore - £2.85 for 1 Kg, plus £5.49 courier delivery (i've ordered as many as seven kilos without the delivery charge increasing).

and Honest to Goodness - £1.59 for 500g, £2.99 for 1 Kg, or £4.39 for 1.5 Kg - plus £4.49 delivery.

Now, because i'm very interested in mathematics, and not paying more than I absolutely have to, I have noted the following:

 - although 1 kilo from the Low Carb Megastore is 14p cheaper than one from Honest to Goodness, the delivery from Honest to Goodness is £1 cheaper...so, provided that you buy less than 8 kilos (in 1 Kg bags), it will be cheaper to buy from Honest to Goodness.
8 kilos or more, and it is cheaper from The Low Carb Megastore.

 - it is cheaper to buy 1.5 Kg bags up to 12 Kgs (eight bags), than the equivalent weight from The Low Carb Megastore - as for every 3 Kgs (in 1.5 Kg bags), Honest to Goodness is 23p more expensive than The Low Carb Megastore (3 x 1 Kg bags from LCM = £8.55; 2 x 1.5 Kg bags from HTG = £8.78), but the postage is £1 less...any more, and including postage, The Low Carb Megastore is cheaper.

Wow.
I hope you followed that/it was helpful.

I have only ever bought from the Low Carb Megastore, as I just recently discovered Honest to Goodness, and they have just dropped their prices (two 500g bags were cheaper than one 1 Kg bag, before).
I have never had any problems with the wheat gluten from The Low Carb Megastore, but as I am not living a 'low-carb' life, I can never find anything else to put in my basket; maybe the same will be true of Honest to Goodness, but i'll be trying their wheat gluten next time I order some.

Good day.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, that is very useful, as when I search for gluten all I get is gluten-free products. Gluten is bad if you are allergic to it, otherwise it is a very good source of protein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices are now £3.40 for 1kg bag at Low Carb Megastore.
      £5.25 for 1.5kg bag at Honest To Goodness.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the feedback: i'm glad I was of help.

    I noticed the price increase recently, and was going to update this post.
    I think I ordered from Honest to Goodness, as I got free shipping on 6Kgs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, just the information I needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These prices seem to be different now... damn inflation.

    ReplyDelete